You guys, I really do have the best friends. I know. I know. Everyone says that, but I'm so glad that I get to know these kind, generous, gracious, and hilarious ladies! I am constantly inspired by the way they choose to live their lives...selflessly loving others and giving of their time and energy. Not because they're trying to fit a certain mold or create an image but just because that's who they are.
I want to take some time to brag on them, because they'd never do it themselves and because they impact me on a regular basis with their lives and push me to love others well.
![]() |
| via Pinterest |
They are the kind of people who:
When their own workday is finished at the hospital, head over to the NICU to hold and rock a little baby. A baby born to a drug-addicted mother. A baby who has no one else in the world, other than hospital staff, to snuggle her and hold her close.
See that there are no ballet classes offered in this city for children with special needs, so they start one. Because most little girls dream of being a ballerina and dressing up in tutus and ballet shoes and so they should have an opportunity for that dream to come true.
Hang out with a homeless, teen single-mom living in a shelter and trying to get back on her feet. Who talk about life and love while they cook dinner together. Who helps her study for her GED and teaches her how to parallel park for her driver's test, because she's never had a driver's license and no one's ever taught her.
Plan, organize, and direct talent shows for children with special needs so that their talents and gifts can be showcased for all to see. Because every child has gifts to offer to the world, and they should be celebrated. Because they choose to focus on their abilities instead of their disability.
When they hear of a lady-who-is-pregnant-with-her-third-child-from-a-different-man-and-the-current-man-is-in-jail refuse to join the familiar chorus of complaint and condemnation and chooses to sing a new song. A song of love. Who throws her a baby shower. Who spends time with her children and has them over for pizza and ice cream and hangs out with her and her children for dinner and movie nights. Who forms a genuine friendship with her.
Meet their former patient for frozen yogurt to catch up on life, because she's a teenage girl and friendships are key in those high school days. Because she's not just a patient, but a person. Not a diagnosis, but a full-of-life young woman who is a walking miracle. Because their friendship didn't end when her therapy ended. Who talks about boys and music and movies and grades and classes and football games with her, because, well...that's what you talk about when you're a teenager over frozen yogurt.
Goes above and beyond to care for her infant patient who was badly burned in a house fire. Who helps support the older couple who are now her legal guardians, because her parents died in the fire. Who collects clothes for the baby girl and travels out of town to be there when she's baptized.
These are just few of the stories that I've known about. And these stories are only from some friends who live in my own city and that I see on a weekly basis. I have friends near and far who are living life in amazing ways. From those right here to literally all around the world. I'm thankful for all of them and the role they have in my life. I'm so glad I get to know such women of purpose. Women who are living fully. Women who are loving others boldly and in big ways. Women who are being brave right where they are.
They see a need and they reach out in love to meet that need.
I am inspired by all of you, friends!!!

And I want to take a minute to brag on one of my friends. She's the kind of person who is passionate about global issues like sex trafficking and providing safe working conditions and fair wages for people around the world. She doesn't shrink back when people say these issues are too big for us to do anything about- she advocates on behalf of the vulnerable, works for an awesome company that pays fair wages to men and women around the world, and volunteers her time to organizations to raise awareness and funds for these issues. And she knows the importance of being a good friend and is intentional about spending time with her friends. She's not afraid to ask you hard questions and will admit her imperfections. And she's just plain old fun to be around. I am inspired by her!
ReplyDelete(This is about you, btw)
Happy birthday!!!!
Thanks Mal for your sweet and encouraging words, and thanks for the birthday wishes!!
DeleteWhat Mallory said! Love you Lindsay!
ReplyDeleteaww thanks Sharon! love you too!!
Delete