Sunday, January 13, 2013

shine

"And if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday."
                                                       Isaiah 58:10
 
 
 
January is National Human Trafficking Awareness Month.  Did you know that there are more than 27 million slaves worldwide today?  This is more than at any time ever in history.  Did you catch that?!  Slavery is alive and well.  This should not be people!
 
 
Sometimes the problem can seem so great we can become overwhelmed and paralyzed and just sit there doing nothing.  We underestimate the change we really are able to bring about.  Other times we may become numb or apathetic to the issue.  Since we don't see it happening it's easy to forget about it, but this does not make the problem go away. 
 
 
Many around the world are in darkness.   They are without hope.  They are living in fear and oppression and are without a voice.   Will you be a voice for them?   Will you tell their stories in hope of setting them free?   Will you be a part of satisfying the needs of the oppressed?
 
 
One very practical step that we can take is rethinking our shopping habits.  A large portion of those who are exploited or enslaved are there to produce cute and affordable clothing, jewelry, and accessories that we buy all the time.  How do you think you're getting it so cheap?  Clearly, someone is not getting paid.  My eyes were opened to this about a year ago.  I posted about it here.  I have begun to try and shop fair trade as much as possible.  It is a little more effort, but sooo worth it.  As cute as a trendy new top may be, or as great as a sale or bargain may be.....they are not as important as another's life and freedom.  I don't want to wear a stylish new dress knowing that someone was forced to make it in a hostile, maybe even abusive, working environment with little or no pay for their work.  I don't want to buy a cute necklace knowing that the person who made it was exploited.  Fair trade ensures that there is transparency and accountability at all levels of the production and supply chain, that workers are paid a fair wage, that working conditions are safe and healthy, and that opportunities to alleviate poverty are provided.  In my search to find fair trade clothing and accessory companies I came across Noonday Collection.  I was immediately drawn to the accessories and the beautiful stories behind each of the unique, handmade products, and eventually I became an ambassador with Noonday.  Being an ambassador allows me to be an advocate for artisans around the world, to provide a marketplace for their goods, and to share their stories with those I meet.
 
 
stories like this... 

There are 20 to 65 million bonded laborers in India, despite substantive and clear laws prohibiting this. A person becomes a bonded laborer when their labor is demanded as a means of repayment for a loan. The person is then tricked or trapped into working for very little or no pay, often for seven days a week.  There are many different jewelry-making co-ops in India whose goal is to build long term equitable trading relationships that ensure low-income artisans are truly being helped out of poverty and will not become a bonded laborer. Artisans are paid a livable wage and have safe working conditions, access to healthcare and childcare, and on-going training and education. Sidhama has been working at one such cooperative for 27 years. Her husband abused her so badly that she ended up in the hospital. While there, a social worker there told her about the jewelry cooperative. The income from her new job enabled her to leave her abusive situation. When she joined the co-op she didn't know how to speak Hindi since she is from Karnataka. Her language skills that she gained enabled her to take on more responsibility, and she now travels all over the city. Her five children are all married. "Before finding this cooperative, I used to struggle a lot. I have now learned how to take steps to make big changes in my life."


or this......
"When i met Coral, she was a very miserable young girl, she came to us to learn how to make paper beads, and to get work. After coming to the city to get work, she soon got into a relationship with an older man, who had 2 children with her. He soon left her in a rented house and went away forever. Coral was stranded, with 2 children, no rent for the house, no work, no food, and she didn't have any friends, or family in town. While still in that situation, she got another man who promised to pay her debts, and to care for her and her children. He, too, got her pregnant with no intention to marry her or care for her as he is a jobless man. We shared the story of God's love with Coral and she now loves God and isn't jumping from man to man. She is earning money to provide for her children and she has become the most hardworking and most committed member in our team. She earns more than all the other ladies because she is able to make more products. And she has mastered the red, Kampala with Love Necklace, which is the most difficult to create because the beads are so small."
On December 15, 2012 Coral was married to a wonderful, Godly man named Bukenya, who also works making paper beads used to create Noonday jewelry.  Because of their new income, they were able to have a wedding ceremony (something not possible for the poor many times) that turned into a mass wedding ceremony with 19 other couples being able to participate as well!

 
With each purchase from Noonday Collection you really are making a difference!  You are becoming a world changer.  For the person who made that necklace you buy---you are changing their world!!  You are helping to offer them hope.  You are helping to provide a pathway out of poverty for them.  You are satisfying the needs of the oppressed.  Your night is becoming like the noonday.  You are shining brightly into the darkness...and darkness cannot overcome the light!
 
 
I am giving away a $50 gift card for you to pick out some Noonday love!!  Contest will end Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 11pm eastern.  There are lots of ways to win! . 



***Each comment is an entry.  That's four chances to win!!***
1.  Visit my Noonday site www.lindsaychambers.noondaycollection.com to browse the collection and comment below to let me know what item is on your wish list.
2.  Become a follower of my blog (or let me know that you already are)--comment to let me know you're following.
3.  Share this giveaway on facebook.  Comment to let me know you did.
4.  Give a financial contribution to International Justice Mission and comment to let me know you did.



Don't forget to check out the other giveaways this week!!
Jan. 15- Summer at www.summerscan.wordpress.com
Jan. 16- Jamie at www.jamierives.blogspot.com
Jan. 17- Marian at www.loveonamonday.blogspot.com
Jan. 18- Annie at www.jeremyandannie.com
Jan. 19-Audra at www.koningfamily.blogspot.com
Jan. 20- Tara at www.blessingsbytlcwithtlc.blogspot.com


links to resources:
Slavery Footprint
International Justice Mission
End It Movement
Not For Sale
Love 146
Rahab's Rope



"You may choose to look the other way but you can never say again that you did not know."
~William Wilberforce

 



*artisan stories via Noonday Collection website/blog

57 comments:

  1. Now a follower of your blog! Love this cause! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I choose- maybe the many ways bag but anything would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cross shoulder Boho bag and hoping they get more weekender bags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovethe twisted necklace... thank you for sharing grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps...I follow you and shared on Facebook:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danica Necklace and Gold Deco Earrings are on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the crescent moon earrings! First on my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Sterling Circle necklace and the Upcycled Hoop earrings are calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I would probably pick the Bobbles and Beads Jewelry Caddy. ps. Check the link to your noonday site--I think it's missing an "s" and is broken right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the tea towels and the stacked arrow necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Evening Horizon Necklace!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shared on Facebook! Thanks for a great blog post!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went to a show this weekend. I especially love the jewelry made from melted down bullets. Annette

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am pretty sure I *need* a Tagua seed bracelet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the sandals!! So cute!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pink tourline cross! (it'll go with my wedding colors!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Rewind Clutch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made a donation! :) You're awesome, Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. follower of your blog...opps forgot to seperate comments.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the Grey Whispers Cowl!!
    Shawna Mengle

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the Embira seed necklace and the Twisted necklace - would definitely spend $50 toward those!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The top of my wish list is the zip up scarf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would buy the lovely Ancient Ways necklace or the Hot PInk Acai beaded necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How can I pick just one item? For now, I choose the Inca Steps Necklace in Teal... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So appreciate what you are doing. From the Noonday collection I really like the Angelica Infinity scarf. (And the 19th is my birthday, btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. And I shared your page on FaceBook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello, The Dulce Necklace is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Shared on FB-Laura B

    ReplyDelete
  30. And I love the purple horn bracelet and embellished belt-Laura B.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really love the embellished belt! amyweatherly02(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the scarf I ordered-can't wait to wear it!-Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  33. I want the cross shoulder boho bag soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Shared on Facebook :)-- Greta

    ReplyDelete
  35. the winner chosen at random was Elizabeth Bricknell!! Elizabeth email me at lindsay.noonday@gmail.com so I can get your gift card to you! thanks so much to everyone who read and entered!

    ReplyDelete