So this week is possessions. The challenge is to give away 7 items a day for 7 days for a grand total of 49 items for the week. I'm not literally giving 7 items away each day. Over the course of the week I'm gathering up 49 items into one big stockpile which I will then distribute to different people and organizations.
So time for a little confession/transparency......I kicked off possessions week with a shopping spree. Ironic, right? I honestly haven't really bought clothes and such in quite a while. Quite frankly I've kinda been turned off to shopping with all that I've been reading about unfair trade, cheap fashion, and the huge amounts of textile waste we produce. But, then this weekend happened and I caved and bought several pairs of shoes for the fall/winter. Then some of my favorite on-line shops were having sales, and... I caved again. I will say this, my online purchases were all accessories from small fair trade organizations made by artisans whose handiwork helps provide a pathway out of poverty and despair for themselves and their familes. So, I really do feel good about them. It's like I'm giving money to help support these awesome women, and then I get the earrings and scarves as a bonus!!! As for the shoes... I've decided I'm going to try a different approach to my wardrobe. I'm going to try and purchase only shoes, accessories, and leggings this season to add to my existing wardrobe. I'm going to attempt no new pants, jeans, tops, or dresses. Just create new looks by adding different accessories and re-mixing what I already have. Enough about that.
So 49 items total. Eeeeek!! I'm not gonna lie. I'm a little intimidated! I also want to not take the items to Goodwill or The Salvation Army. Nothing wrong with these great organizations. I usually take my things there, and I frequent their thrift stores to pick up items for myself. It's just that I want to branch out and find out about some more options that are out there. Part of this week is about making some sort of connection with the people who are receiving your things. It's about giving getting personal. It's not really personal when you just drive up and dump your things off. I would love to give some of my items to individuals who need them and to make connections with some smaller outreaches in the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment