I can use a little "quiet" in my life. I started thinking about "quiet" because I had someone recommend that I read the book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Wow...."in a world that can't stop talking". How true is that?! We really do live in a world that is constantly speaking to us. From subtle whispers to outright shouting. The talking comes at us from all angles. Messages we receive through marketing and media. Books, film, and television. Busy schedules filled with jumping from this event to that event and from hanging out with anyone and everyone. Constantly being plugged in and tuned in to some form of technology. So many voices and so many messages coming to us from all over. In the world we live in we have to be intentional if we want to get away from it all and quiet the noise. As I've thought about this topic over the past few weeks, I've realized just how necessary it is for me to have some "quiet". I'm an introvert for sure, and I truly need this time to process, to think, to recharge.
Being an introvert, I love to read. But even, the books I read are part of that "world that can't stop talking". It adds to the many voices and messages vying for my attention. So many good things, even great and life-changing things, are out there in the world of books and articles and blogs. But recently I decided to set apart the month of June in a practical way to pay more attention to the One Voice that really matters. In June I said "no" to reading articles and blogs. "No" to reading books or even Bible commentaries. I decided that I would only read Scripture. Commentaries and books about the Bible and about growing in your faith are invaluable, but sometimes it's best to just go straight to the source. To learn straight from God Himself. To let Him speak directly to your heart through His Word instead of learning what He spoke to someone else. Now this definitely doesn't mean that I was sitting around reading my Bible all the time. It was more like "If I'm going to take time to read something today, I want it be Scripture".
I was reminded this month of how important it is to spend time in Scripture. To spend time alone with God. Even Jesus escaped the crowds and went away to the lonely places to pray. I was reminded that it's ok to say "no". To spend a quiet evening at home and not feel the need to say "yes" to every invite. I was reminded that I require rest and "quiet" in my life.
I recommend that you try making some space for some "quiet" in your own life. Spend some time alone. Go for a walk or a drive or just sit outdoors. No music. No talking. No company. Just you and your thoughts. Don't watch so much television. Turn off the radio/music while driving in your car to and from work for a week. Feel the freedom to say "no" and don't max out your social calendar. Pay more attention to the One Voice that matters most of all by reading Scripture.
![]() |
| via Pinterest |

No comments:
Post a Comment