{extra + ordinary}
~ordinary women being used by an extraordinary God~
~doing ordinary things in an extraordinary way~
~living extra in the ordinary~
I first met Ashley when I moved back from Memphis and was deciding where to settle down after graduating from PT school. I moved into her house, because she was living with two of my very best friends. She had just moved to town to start PT school. I crashed on the pull-out couch in their study for a few weeks while I decided what the next step in my life was going to be. Turns out I decided to stay in Augusta, accepted a job at a local hospital, began working with a student ministry, and officially moved in with Ashley. We quickly became great friends. Together Ashley and I navigated the challenges and joys of ministering to PT and OT students. I remember the night she first told me about meeting her now-husband. It was also the same night I met my now brother-in-law for the first time. A short time later I was honored to be a bridesmaid in their beautiful wedding in Charleston, SC. I didn't have much time to get to know her husband, Chris, because soon they were off to England to settle down. God has such a funny way of moving us out of our comfort zones and of having greater plans for our lives than we could ever dream up. I remember Ashley graduating from school and really having a heart set on moving back to South Georgia and settling down in a small town. Now, here she was moving to a completelty different country, far away from all friends and family!! I was super impressed when I went to visit her and she picked me up from London Heathrow Airport and then began navigating me through the big city of London. We had the trip of a lifetime as we made our way through England and Scotland...even checking an item off my bucket list when we stayed a night in a Scottish castle. She introduced me to my now-favorite city in the world, Edinburgh. We had lots of time during that trip to stay up late and talk about anything and everything. Just like the old days when we used to be roommates.
I remember being so encouraged by the love that she had for marriage in general and for the picture of the gospel that it is.... so in awe of the wisdom that she had of how to make a marriage work... so inspired by the love that she has for her husband and the way that she stands beside him... and struck by the trust and faith she has in God to protect him when he is deployed to dangerous places. One thing I do remember talking about on that trip as we were driving through the English countryside is that she wasn't completely sold on the idea of kids. Once again, God has a way of changing our plans sometimes. Fast forward about a year and Ashley was here visiting me in the States for a weekend. Her desires had taken a complete 180. She was now speaking as one who desired children so badly and desired to bring them up to follow Jesus. So naturally, when I thought of who I wanted to speak on marriage and motherhood for my {extra + ordinary} series, my sweet friend Ashley came to mind. Here is her story:
Marriage and motherhood is all about being unselfish,
giving, and patient. And unlike a 9-5
job, you are always on duty! God
continues to reveal to me my sinfulness and shortcomings on a daily basis.
Thankfully, my husband is on this spiritual journey with me and we both forgive
each other and love each other amidst our transgressions towards each other . My son has a big smile and hug for me at the
end of the day, even if I have lost my patience with him or I have not given
him my best that day. God gives me the strength, both physically and
emotionally, to keep going as I serve my family.
If you had asked me 7 years ago what I thought my life would
be like, I never would have dreamed I would be where I am now. Soon after first meeting my husband, I began
to feel God calling me to a life of marriage, but also to the military. Being a military spouse is one of the most
rewarding experiences, but it is also one of the hardest. During a deployment I
may selfishly wish my husband was here to spend time with my son and I, but I
know that God has called him to fly into harms way to save people’s lives. God has gifted my husband with many gifts to
serve Him and our country, and in a way I am a part of this by loving him,
praying for him, and taking care of his needs.
At times that will call me away from my career aspirations and personal
goals and dreams, but this is what God has called me to as a military
spouse. I go wherever my husband goes
and support him along the way. My
husband and I approach every deployment as an opportunity to grow, especially
in our relationship with God. We have
more time to spend with God individually while we are separated, which we find
a blessing in the midst of the pain of separation. I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit’s peace
that he gives me to help combat the anxiety that accompanies every
deployment.
I have experienced an amazing bond with so many wonderful
military spouses during our time living overseas. We all support and love each other like a family.
We pray for each other, cry with each other, and take care of each other as the
months drive on without our husbands around. The opportunities are numerous to love and
serve these women and it is a true joy to do so. I have met many other Christian military spouses
who have modeled for me a life of humble service to the Lord as they encourage
their fellow spouses.
Make sure to read these other {extra + ordinary} stories:
Jamie
Christine
Megan
Katherine
Mallory









No comments:
Post a Comment