I was privileged enough to visit Bulgaria for the third time a little over a month ago. I hope to share some pictures, encouraging stories, and what God has been teaching me in a series of posts. Each mission trip I have been able to be a part of has been unique and different and that was true of this one as well. There are so many fond memories and encouraging stories, and I'll try to pull out some of the best representations to chronicle here.
I was reading through an old journal earlier this week and looking back at journal entries from my first trip to Bulgaria back in the spring of 2005. It's so neat to remember my first impressions of the country back then and then to compare with what I know of it now. Here is a bit of what I wrote back in 2005 regarding some of my initial very first impressions:
"Bulgaria has somewhat of a cold air about it. There are tall buildings or apartments all throughout the city that are dilapidated and falling down. Many were built with cheap materials during Communism. Housing is crowded. No grass. Lots of cement. Lots of grafitti, but beautiful snow-capped mountains off in the distance. The language is very hard--nothing like Spanish. I've attempted to learn words here and there but don't really have the passion it takes to learn it."
I think it's safe to say I wasn't too impressed.
Fast forward six years and when I think of Bulgaria it is always with great joy. Even though I only know tiny bits of this country and these people, I love those bits! It has been exciting to get to watch how God is working in this country over the years and how He has worked in my heart since stepping out of the Sofia airport for the first time back in 2005.
This trip for me was so much about realtionships with people. Relationships with teammates (old and dear friends and people I just met). Relationships with the awesome translators. Relationships with the precious Bulgarian people--church members, patients we treated, family and friends of our translators, nonbelievers and Christ-followers. Relationships with the missionaries. Here are a few snapshots of some of those relationships:
 |
| Our team from the States with the translators and MTW missionaries |
 |
| Us with sweet Teddy, one of of translators |
 |
| Me with the peds crew that went to the disability center each day along with one of the MTW misionaries |
 |
| Vlado and Vladi, two of our translators (and now two Dawg fans) |
 |
| with Teddy |
 |
| At clinic in the Pazardjik church |
 |
| Learning from Betsy |
 |
| Mallory with Pastor Rangel of the Pazardjik church |
 |
| Minka, a faithful church member, who kept the stove going all week to keep us warm. |
 |
| Working with Ivan at the center |
 |
| Talking about Jesus |
 |
| Cornelia at the center with patient and caregiver |
 |
In Sofia with Mallory before leaving
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
~Jesus
|
No comments:
Post a Comment