So, yes, I know. New Year's is sooo two weeks ago, but I'm going to talk about it anyway.
I love a new year. I know that you can make changes and set goals anytime, but there is something about the start of a new year that sparks a desire in me for change.
I love a new year. I know that you can make changes and set goals anytime, but there is something about the start of a new year that sparks a desire in me for change.
A new year is a fresh start.
A chance to say hello to the new and goodbye to the old.
A chance to leave the past behind and move forward into the new.
A chance to press restart and begin again.
A chance to leave the past behind and move forward into the new.
A chance to press restart and begin again.
A new year is filled with so much possibility. So many new opportunities.
![]() |
| via Pinterest |
I did not make any official resolutions, but I did sit down to think about some goals I wanted to set for this year. Nothing extremely specific. Just some general ideas for areas I want to focus on changing this year. My list looked a little like this:
Read more books
Journal/write/blog more
Eat more fresh fruits and veggies
Drink more water each day
Spend more time walking and running
Sew more
Have people over for dinner more
Try more new recipes
When I looked at my list I started to notice a common theme....MORE. Every single thing included the word more. More, more, more, more. I didn't do that intentionally. I just started thinking of what goals I had for myself in the new year. It just seems that all of the change I envision for my life involves adding things. Isn't that what we as women do so many times in our life. We go and go and do and do until we completely exhaust ourselves. We think that by adding more to our lives they will be more satisfying. That by doing more we'll have more purpose and somehow add more significance to our lives. Now, I really do see how all of the above things can enrich my life and lead to a healthier life physically, emotionally, and spiritually. So, I will try to focus on these things for the new year. However, I do not want to fall into the trap of beginning to measure my worth or significance based on how well I measure up to my list. The point of the list is to help me enjoy my year, enrich my days, and celebrate the life that God has given me. I shouldn't be held hostage by a list of more things I must measure up to. Because the reality is that my life will probably be filled with more this year:
More TV watching than I'd probably like to admit to
More fast food and cake and fatty foods in my future
More time on the couch instead of on the treadmill
More pinning DIY projects on pinterest instead of actually accomplishing them
More sleeping in instead of reading or journaling
I'm not aiming for failure...I just know myself, and I know the reality is that I won't be able to meet all the goals I set for myself perfectly. This year will bring failures and disappointments and let-downs. That is one thing we can all be sure of. No one is perfect and life is certainly not fair or perfect. That doesn't mean we shouldn't aim high. We should set goals and work to meet them. We should dream, and dream BIG at that. We should set out to make change in our own lives and in the world around us. But, I also encourage you to remember that your worth and your identity and your significance are not found in how well you live up to your standards or someone else's standards. Your life is not measured by what you accomplish or by what you fail to accomplish. We do not find our true satisfaction or soul's identity by doing more, or being more, or working harder, or trying to be better. Christ is enough for us. He is our significance. Our life is hidden in Him. He has come to make us a new creation. The old has gone and the new has come. We are complete in Him. He's made us new, and there is nothing we can do to add to that. No amount of working harder or trying to do better can make Him love us one tiny ounce more. His grace and His never failing love is enough.
So go forward into the year. Dream big dreams. Attempt things that are possible only with the strength God gives. Live fully, but live and act out of the awareness of who you are as a new creation. Live not as someone who is trying to impress or gain approval or create a worthy life. Move into this year in the confidence of who you already are in Christ. Embrace this new year as a new creation.
More TV watching than I'd probably like to admit to
More fast food and cake and fatty foods in my future
More time on the couch instead of on the treadmill
More pinning DIY projects on pinterest instead of actually accomplishing them
More sleeping in instead of reading or journaling
I'm not aiming for failure...I just know myself, and I know the reality is that I won't be able to meet all the goals I set for myself perfectly. This year will bring failures and disappointments and let-downs. That is one thing we can all be sure of. No one is perfect and life is certainly not fair or perfect. That doesn't mean we shouldn't aim high. We should set goals and work to meet them. We should dream, and dream BIG at that. We should set out to make change in our own lives and in the world around us. But, I also encourage you to remember that your worth and your identity and your significance are not found in how well you live up to your standards or someone else's standards. Your life is not measured by what you accomplish or by what you fail to accomplish. We do not find our true satisfaction or soul's identity by doing more, or being more, or working harder, or trying to be better. Christ is enough for us. He is our significance. Our life is hidden in Him. He has come to make us a new creation. The old has gone and the new has come. We are complete in Him. He's made us new, and there is nothing we can do to add to that. No amount of working harder or trying to do better can make Him love us one tiny ounce more. His grace and His never failing love is enough.
So go forward into the year. Dream big dreams. Attempt things that are possible only with the strength God gives. Live fully, but live and act out of the awareness of who you are as a new creation. Live not as someone who is trying to impress or gain approval or create a worthy life. Move into this year in the confidence of who you already are in Christ. Embrace this new year as a new creation.
![]() |
| via Pinterest |


No comments:
Post a Comment