So, it seems to me these days that New Year's resolutions are "out".
Choosing a word or theme to characterize your year is apparently "in".
Last year at the beginning of January I tried this. I wanted to choose a word that would summarize what I wanted my year to be about. At the time I chose "do". I wanted to be someone who did things rather than just sitting around talking about all the things I wanted to do. I wanted to be a doer of the Word and not just a hearer of the Word. I wanted to step out in faith and try new things for the first time. To act on dreams that I had. To act on the promptings and passions that God had put on my heart. I wanted to be one who actually acts to make a difference in the world around them instead of just wishing things were different or complaining about the current state of things. I do think that in some ways 2013 was like this for me.
But even more, I feel like another theme started to develop as the days of 2013 went on. My word came to me. I didn't choose it. It chose me. I began to see that my word of 2013 was "full". It became clear as this concept surfaced and resurfaced through the year. It came to me in quiet moments as I drove thinking about my life. It came during moments of digging into Scripture and thinking about all the treasures found in God's Word. It came during times spent with friends laughing so hard until your stomach aches and you have tears in your eyes at things that really aren't THAT funny. And, it came even in times of deep sorrow and extreme disappointment. My life is "full", and I love it. God's faithfulness. His compassion. His heart for me is full and overflowing. My challenge is to always live with an awareness of this fullness. To recognize and be grateful for the fullness of blessings he has given to me and not to complain about all that I don't have. To moment by moment and day by day live in the knowledge that His fullness is enough. Everything I need for life is found in Him. Now, I'm not saying I did this everyday by any stretch! This was just the concept and the truth that motivated me and encouraged me through 2013.
This past year brought a lot of fullness.
Sometimes my life was just plain full. Full of going to work. Of meetings and appointments. Of commitments most nights of the week. Full of bills to be paid and dirty dishes and piles of laundry and a list of "to-dos".
Sometimes I would just stop and think how full my heart was. I remember one particular day in the Spring. I was driving home from Atlanta from a whirlwind day of hanging out with new and old friends. I met up with the Noonday Collection founder and some other local girls for lunch. Then I went to have a coffee date and spend time with a sweet friend who was battling stage 4 cancer. Finally, I went to have dinner with another friend and met her sweet new 2week old baby girl for the first time. So much emotion in one day. So many friendships and dynamics. I was exhausted and processing so many emotions, but my heart was full and overflowing from all of it.
As I stood and looked out at the majestic Andes Mountains and hiked at Machu Picchu for the first time I was stunned. Truly the definition of awe-inspiring. Not the broken and crumbling remains of the lost city. The amazing mountains that make the truly impressive feat of human strength and genius look like child's play. The mountains and the beauty and strength combined in that place pointed me to the Beauty and Strength found in the One who created them. My heart was full of worship.
This year also brought some of the most devastation and pain and mourning that I've known. But, even in that there was fullness. When my sister lost her baby boy we were full of deep sorrow. It was tough then and it still is now. Through it, though, we experienced the fullness that came as others loved and supported us and the fullness of the comfort, peace and presence of Christ that comforts as only He can. My heart was full when people called to check on us, when friends and family sat and cried with us, when they brought us food, when they did whatever needed to be done without having to ask, and when they told funny stories to make us laugh. When my friend with stage 4 cancer went on to be Jesus there was fullness there too. It was there as her friends honored her life and shared all the fun memories they had with her. It was there when so many came out to her funeral to show their support and because she had touched them in some way (some who had never actually met her in real life). My heart was full of encouragement as I saw how fully she lived the days she was given and how passionate she was for others to know Jesus the way she did.
My heart was full as I was invited into many homes to share about God's heart for justice for the oppressed and the orphan. It's amazing what doors a few pieces of beautiful jewelry will open. I had the privilege of being able to educate about slave labor, human trafficking, orphan care and orphan prevention, fair trade, purchasing power, and business as mission. Time and time again I got to combine my passions of fashion, art, care for the poor and the oppressed, and encouraging and empowering women. And I felt full of life and purpose.
I got to travel to Peru, not once but twice, and am full of gratefulness for the opportunity. Grateful for the opportunity to meet so many beautiful Peruvian and Quechua people and to be able to help them with the physical therapy skills I've been given. Grateful to have dinner in the homes of the missionaries who are living there. Grateful to spend time with my PT school roommate now living in Peru and to spend time with her children getting to know each of them and their fun and unique personalities.
The year was full of fun times. Exploring some of my favorite cities with some of my favorite people. Being a part of some beautiful weddings. Great concerts and really good music in everywhere from hole in the wall venues to Red Rocks Amphitheater. Beach trips and mountain camping. Lots of laughter with friends!
Overall, 2013 was the year of being more intentional to recognize the fullness of everything that God has gifted me with. In the good times and the bad times. He is full and even overflowing with love and mercy and compassion, and that fullness is enough to sustain us and bring us joy no matter the circumstance. It was a year of being reminded to rest in the knowledge that we have every fullness and every thing we need already in Christ. Everything else is just bonus and overflowing. I encourage all of us to live lives out of that full to overflowing. God created us and rescues us and loves us too much to let us live a "half full" or "less than" life.
I pray you experience fullness and joy in the year 2014!!!
What might your word for 2014 be?
No comments:
Post a Comment