Saturday, October 19, 2013

9 down, 3 to go

When I started this whole "no new clothes" challenge, I honestly didn't think I would make it this far into the year.  Now, here I am with less than 3 months left to go!!  I've completed 9 months already, so I feel pretty confident I can make it through these last 3. 

Each month I've continued to learn more and more about how I want to change my shopping habits when I start buying new again.  The biggest thing I've learned is just how important quality is when purchasing clothing items.  So many of my clothes are wearing thin or even have holes in them.  I'm tired of cheaply and poorly made clothing.  When I start buying new again I want to buy less items, but with a higher quality.  I realize that it may cost more, but I've decided quality pieces are important in my wardrobe.  And besides, when you scoop up 5 pieces of clothing on one shopping trip for $15 each because they were "so cute" and "such a good deal"  you are still spending $75.  Let's be real, do you really think you're going to want to wear that 100% polyester chevron maxi that's already unraveling at the seams next year or in two seasons from now?  Why not spend that $75 on one item that is of a great quality and a classic addition to your wardrobe that will take you through several seasons?   
 


top from twice; skirt from the clothing swap; all jewelry and shoes are fair trade

A break from shopping for a while has helped me narrow down what items I really do need to buy when I start shopping again.  Like solid color shirts that can be worn with many different outfits, pants for work, jeans that will last,  a great black dress. 

I've also learned it really is all about the accessories!  If you remember the "rules" for my challenge... They pretty much are:
1. no buying new clothes
2. thrifting or used clothes is fine
3. buying shoes, jewelry, and accessories is fine as long as they are fair trade
It is crazy how you can totally change a look by accessorizing the same clothes in a different way!  It has stretched my creativity to put the same pieces of clothing together in different ways to create new outfits AND to spice up old items with new accessories completely creating a different look.


I'm also more aware of opportunities to score gently used items:

Twice is an awesome site if you don't know about it already.  It's basically like an upscale online clothing thrift store.  You can buy and sell items that are like-new and gently used from top name brands and designers.  Click on the photo to find out more.



A friend and I organized a fall clothing swap that I hosted at my house this past Saturday morning.  It was a great chance to get together with friends and friends-of-friends to swap clothing.  Before the event we all went through our closets to find clothing, jewelry, bags, and accessories that we are no longer wearing.  Everyone brought their things along with them and we all swapped.  Then we all were able to find "new to us" items to take home.  Someone's trash truly is someone else's treasure.  I found some great new skirts, dresses, and pants to add to my wardrobe and am so excited for my "new" clothes.  It was a fun morning of hanging out, having coffee, and shopping!
 
With a current need in our hospital to cover inpatient more frequently and an upcoming PT mission trip to Peru, I truly do need some scrubs.  My old ones from years ago just aren't going to cut it.  Let's just say I'm not quite the same size as I was back in those days.  Thankfully there is a great place downtown that sells like-new and gently used scrubs for a discounted rate. 

And, I've had several sweet co-workers bring in clothes for me to look through before they took items to Goodwill.  I got some really cute things from their piles of things they no longer needed.  I'm so thankful to have such great and supportive friends and to work with such an awesome group of people.  Even if they do think I'm completely off my rocker with all these ideas I come up with...I love that they support me while I do it!

 
 
 
linking up with Lindsey at The Pleated Poppy

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks mal! thanks for all of your encouragement along the way!!

      Delete
  2. congrats on that "no new clothes challenge", a year is a long time! I definitely know what you mean about better quality though. I have been on a personal monthly "shopping budget" and that has made me think twice about so many items in just the past 2 months. I was so close to buying a $12 pair of jeans (which BTW are sometimes GREAT) but decided when it comes to "blue jeans" I should really invest in a much nicer pair.
    Also, I wish I knew people who would want to do a clothing swap... that sounds SO fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sarah, and hopefully you can get some friends to do a clothes swap in the future!

      Delete
  3. I think your challenge must be really helpful for you to rearrange your priorities when it comes to clothing! And I definitely agree! Go for quality over quantity--I prefer having clothes that will last for a good while to come, and it's cheaper in the long run than constantly replacing clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Rachel, and yes the challenge is definitely helping to reshape some priorities in a very practical way in my life!

      Delete