Tuesday, July 23, 2013

fear

"and they were in great danger"
 
I've heard and read the story of Jesus calming the storm many times over the course of my life.  But somehow, I've always skipped right over this part in Luke's account of the event.  As I read this story the other day it was as if these words jumped off the page at me.  I guess as I've read this before, I've always just assumed that the disciples were worked up over nothing.  That they were worried over something that wasn't really that big of a deal.  But no, "they were in great danger"!!
 
 
Jesus did more in the boat that day than just calm the waters and the storm.  He calmed the fears of the trembling hearts of the men in that boat.  He told them to replace the fear in their hearts with faith even in especially in times of "great danger".
 
 
It's easy to listen to words encouraging us not to worry when we put those worries in perspective with "the big picture" and see that they're really not that big of a deal after all.  You know, the whole don't-worry-it'll-all-work-out mentality.  But what about the worries that are still huge when compared to "the big picture"?  That's what Jesus was addressing here... their very lives were in danger.  They had good reason to worry.  This was no concern over a leaky roof, a car that won't start, missing your flight, children that just can't seem to behave, etc.....  They were in great danger, and Jesus told them to be calm.
 
 
Why is this important, and why have I been thinking about this lately?  Because as I look around the world, I see a lot of people who are in "great danger", and some of them are people who are close to me and that I care very deeply for. 
 
 
To the one awaiting results of the biopsy.  Constantly wondering what the future holds and dreading the phone call that will reveal it....
 
To the one who was sooo close to bringing her adopted babies home.  The ones she'd longed for and prayed for and spent time with.  The ones whose cribs were already set up in the nursery.  Only to have them snatched away at the last minute...
 
To the one who is facing a very real possibility of being laid off.  Who definitely didn't see this in their 5yr plan.  Who has a family to provide for...
 
To the one who sits at home while her husband is deployed to dangerous places.  Who knows of his brushes with death in the past, but admires his commitment to willingly go back to those dangerous places for his country....
 
To the one who is daily walking through life fighting a battle with stage 4 cancer.  While her days should be spent with date nights with her husband of only a year, they are now filled with doctor's appointments and chemo treatments...
 
 
To these, Jesus is ready and waiting to replace fear with faith.  He is present in the boat with them.  He is right there with them in the midst of the storm.  Calming His children as He calms the storms and bringing them safely to shore.


No comments:

Post a Comment