Monday, August 18, 2014

a better story

A few years ago I started listening to the stories that filled my closet.  The stories my clothes were telling me.  They were not pretty stories, and it was not easy to hear.  Stories of desperation.  Stories of exploitation.  Stories of slavery and injustice and just pure ugliness.  No matter how beautiful a pattern or textile, a color of fabric, or this season's hottest trend....if the story behind it is one of oppression, it's just not worth it.
 
 
You see I started to see that there are stories behind my clothes.  Behind my accessories.  Behind my jewelry.  And a lot of times...those stories weren't pretty.   In fact, sometimes they were downright horrifying.
 
 
I started to see that there were people behind the things I buy.  That a person hemmed the pretty new dress I'm wearing to a party this weekend.  That there's a face behind the cute necklace I just bought.  That the person who put the finishing touches on my handbag has a name and a family at home.  I started to learn about words like "modern day slavery" and "human trafficking" and saw that these things are alive and well in the world today.  I realized that my shopping habits were doing nothing to challenge these now norms in the fashion world....and it rocked my world.
 
 
I realized that all the things that I buy have a story to tell....and there is a better story.  We can empower people with our purchases or exploit them with our purchases.  We can offer hope and life and new opportunities to flourish or we can continue to oppress with our shopping habits.  We can be silent and go with the flow or we can stand up and speak out for what is right.  Together we can choose a better story.
 
 
Like this scarf 
  The story this scarf has to tell is one of hope, and restoration, and love.
This beautiful scarf is made by a community of weavers who live together recovering from leprosy. These artisans have received treatment for their leprosy and the bacteria is no longer active in their bodies, but they may be still dealing with the effects of leprosy.  For some they may have permanently lost sensation in parts of their body.  They might have suffered damage to or the loss of parts of their limbs.  They may be healing from the emotional pain of being stigmatized.  As artisans live and work in this unique village, they not only find reliable employment but a community who sees them as human, looking past scars they may bear as survivors of leprosy.  The weavers in this artisan group have become known first for their talent and skills with weaving rather than being known first for their medical diagnosis.
 



 
Or this scarf
  This scarf is handmade with love in Ethiopia.  This design is from a partnership with a group called Women At Risk.  This scarf is made by women living in Ethiopia who are working their way out of the sex industry.  In Ethiopia, many women are drawn into lives of prostitution as a way to provide for their families.  After arriving to larger cities from their smaller villages to try and make a better life they find it hard to survive without job skills or training.  Many women feel trapped by their circumstances and feel that prostitution is the only option.  This weaving group seeks to provide a safe way out of this lifestyle by training the women in a craft and providing a holistic recovery program for them.
 

 
 
Or this clutch
This beautiful handmade clutch is made from repurposed VHS tapes.  The artisan group that creates this gorgeous piece is a group of adults in India with special needs.  I love that their talents, gifts, and abilities instead of disabilities are showcased through their artwork.  This amazing group of artisans is producing beautiful handmade products for us while finding community with each other and a sustainable job opportunity.


 
 
Or this bag
This beautiful and unique bag carries with it the story of the ladies who live high in the Andes Mountains of Peru.  The gorgeous and intricate hand embroidery on the bag is part of the rich tradition and culture that has been handed down to these women for generations.  This bag provides these women the opportunity to show off their amazing talent and rich cultural heritage to the world while providing a sustainable income opportunity for them.  They are able to receive fair wages for their work and help break the cycle of poverty in their families and communities.
 


Check out lots of other stories behind our pieces here:
http://lindsaychambers.noondaycollection.com/impact


Together we can use our purchasing power for good.  Together we can choose a better story!


Now it's time for a giveaway!  I'm giving away a $50 gift card to Noonday to spend however you choose!!  There are so many gorgeous new pieces in our Fall Collection and of course many of your best-selling favorites that are sticking around for another season.  If you haven't had a chance to see the new collection head over now to www.lindsaychambers.noondaycollection.com to see what's new.  To enter the giveaway it's pretty simple.  Check out the website and the impact tab and let me know which artisan story is your favorite!  Come back here to comment and let me know your favorite story.  I'll choose one comment at random after this Sunday night.  Contest closes Sunday August 24, 2014 at 11pm EST.  Open to US residents only.


And if you're following along on the blog train...visit Katelin for yesterday's giveaway and Laura later this afternoon for another giveaway today.

21 comments:

  1. My favorite artisan story is about Sofiya. I love love love that her first paycheck "Made her father proud." I can only imagine what it took for her to persuade her Dad to let her start her business. I also love that her business allowed her to support her motherland send 2 nieces to school. Noonday is simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite story is of Jalia and Daniel, the original artisan partners in the Noonday vision. Seeing their passion to share their opportunities with others and truly change lives touches me deeply. If only we were all so determined to turn our blessings into opportunities for those just waiting for a chance. Beautiful. - Sarah Arnett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Uganda video...shared it with all the folks I invited to the nationwide trunk show :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite story is Tigiest in Ethiopia. The only thing she wants to do is to be able to provide for her children, and Noonday has made that possible! Such a touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bukenya's story is my favorite, not only going from homeless to homeowner but breaking the generational cycle of poverty and getting married.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace's story is one I love! It brings me to tears thinking of what her mother went through to fight for her children an survive the genocide. And imagining the overwhelming pride and sense of accomplishment she had upon graduating from sewing school...just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Ana's story from Guatemala. I love that one of the women she has helped employ is able to send her daughter to college now! I also love Bukenya's story too though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tigiest's story really touches my heart. I can't imagine having to leave my children and I am so thankful that Noonday has enabled her to keep and take care of her children. I liked what she said: God has a plan, I don't. My plan is to work so I can take care of my children. What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, it's hard to choose one, but I do love the artisans in India who have special needs but can still create beautiful pieces of functional artwork :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the redemption in Emebet's story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bukenya's story is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite story is Ana's from Guatemala. Everything she has done and is doing to grow her business and increase her skills and knowledge and support her family is so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked Angelica's story. She was "ready and willing to work," she just needed to opportunity which noonday gave her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grace's story is my favorite! The strength she and her mother displayed through the genocide was remarkable and truly a survival story. Their perseverance is astounding and should be a lesson to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like Jalia and Daniel. She says she hated poverty and they pursued their dream to get out of it through using the talents they have. I also love that they work together! SO INSPIRING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! You are the winner of the giveaway. If you could contact me at Lindsay.noonday@gmail.com I can get the gift card to your email!

      Delete
  16. I love Emebet's story from Ethiopia. I love that she now is able to live a life of dignity with joy - how wonder that she now has a husband and child and can live a long life having her HIV treated. Her story brings me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Grace's story. Beauty CAN come from ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tigiest's and Emebet's always get me, but really, all of them do! How can you pick just one story of drastic restoration and hope? just love all of the artisan stories and how unique their craftsmanship is.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Grace's story of redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  20. emj is the winner chosen at random! congratulations!! if you could email me at Lindsay.noonday@gmail.com I can get your gift card to you.

    ReplyDelete