Monday, September 17, 2012

7 project: spending

This week's focus is spending.
 
The challenge:
I will only be buying gas and groceries and paying bills.
Nothing extra.
That means no dining out allowed. 
 
I also want to add two components to this week.  I don't want this week to be just about spending less, but to be about being a better steward of my money.  I mentioned earlier in the year that frugality and stewardship are not the same things.  You can be great at saving your money and still be a selfish and stingy person.  That's exactly how Scrooge was. 
The ties between spending and self are so strong.  Much of our spending has roots in the selfish nature.  We buy things we want.  We spend money to indulge ourselves.  We treat ourselves to shopping sprees.  Or...we don't spend.  We save and save so that we will have more money to spend on ourselves later in life.  Rarely are we quick to give generously and joyfully to others. 
So......this week I want to focus not just on spending less but on using money to serve others and looking for opportunities to expand my giving.
 
 
 
7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess
7: an experimental mutiny against excess


"Jesus, may there be less of me and my junk and more of You and Your Kingdom"
~Jen Hatmaker


No comments:

Post a Comment