Friday, December 19, 2014

fair fashion spotlight: symbology

I received my first piece of Symbology clothing earlier this week and am in love!!  I have been eyeing these beautiful designs for a while now and was so excited to open the package with my first piece.  Symbology is an ethical fashion brand that I learned about through some of my other fair-trade-shopping friends.  Symbology combines centuries-old artistic tradition with modern styles to create beautiful, one-of-a-kind pieces.  My favorite pieces are the block print tunics, dresses, and tops from India.  The artisans of Bagru, Rajasthan have been block printing for centuries.  Symbology employs women giving them a sustainable source of income and helping provide opportunity in one of the worst areas for women in India.
 
A look behind the scenes at the process of creating for Symbology:
via Symbology

via Symbology


via Symbology
 
Symbology desires to do mainly three things:
Employ marginalized artisans, with a special focus on women
    Preserve traditional artforms threatened by globalization
Connect women worldwide through fashion
 
 
I love my new zebra-printed kimono!!  I have been obsessed with this latest collection every since I saw sneak peeks of it in production.  The hardest part was deciding which color and if I wanted a dress or top or kimono.  In the end I went with the kimono in navy and am so pleased with my decision.  The fabric is just gorgeeous in person!  The quality and workmanship is beautiful, and I know so much hard work and detail goes into each piece.  It fits great, and I can't wait to order more Symbology to add to my wardrobe.
 



 
 


1 comment: