Monday, November 10, 2014

fair fashion spotlight: stewart + brown

Today I want to highlight a company called Stewart + Brown.  I have a few dresses and a shirt designed by this company that I've been meaning to add to this list of fair fashion spotlights.  First of all, these dresses are super comfy and well-made and I just want to share them with you all.  Secondly, they are the perfect chance for me to share more about ethical shopping and how shopping clothes made in the USA can be a part of purchasing with purpose.  This company is not officially a "fair trade" company, but I've included them in this series to highlight this important aspect of ethical shopping. 
 
I love that all pieces by these designers are made right here in the USA!!  In my mind, if I can't buy clothing that is fair trade, then I believe that items made in the USA are the next closest thing.  When shopping in stores these days I pay much closer attention to labels.  In fact, I never buy things anymore without checking out the label first, and many times if it's not fair trade and not made in the USA I won't buy it.  Poor labor practices are way more common outside of the USA.  How do you think things can be produced so cheaply?  Why outsource?  Can poor labor practices still happen within the USA?  Of course, but the chance of that happening is much smaller than the chances of it happening in India or China or Bangladesh or Honduras. 
 
So back to Stewart + Brown.  This is one of my favorite clothing lines made in the USA.  This company is also eco-friendly, meaning that their processes of sourcing the fabrics and dyeing the fabrics is safe for the environment.  The dress I'm wearing below is a lightweight shirtdress that is made from the softest 100% organic cotton.
 
 
 
 
 
I also have this bright, fun sundress.  This was the dress that first drew me in and sold me on this company.
 
Check them out for now, and I hope to share some more of my favorite brands made in the USA soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment