lately....
what I'm reading:
I have been doing a ton of reading these days. I made it one of my goals for 2014 to read more books, and I've definitely been doing that. Some of my favorites are..
Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist. This is a great memoir with food and community at the center. She shares so many stories about being fed and nurtured literally and figuratively. And, I love that she includes recipes in this book. It gave me a new love for the art of cooking, and I've tried quite a few. Thanks to this book, I've now made my first risotto successfully (which she says is a must for any cook).
Daring Greatly by Brene Brown. This book isn't quite as easy of a read. There are lots of lists and bullet points, but there is great insight in this one. I love what she has to say about vulnerability and being willing to take risks in order to live life fully. When we afraid of failing there are so many things we miss out on doing and so many of our unique contributions that the world misses out on.
Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton. Ok I highly recommend this book. I really cannot say enough great things about this book. It was given to me as a gift from a friend, and I have since gifted it to two other people. It is a memoir that will make you laugh one moment and cry the next. She has so much insight on embracing life and living every moment to the fullest.
The Blue Sweater by Jacqueline Novogratz. I'm right in the middle of this one right now and love it!! It's the true story of one woman's experiences as she left a prestigious job in banking in New York City to work in multiple countries in the developing world over the years helping to develop microfinance systems and sustainable income opportunities for those living in the poorest and most vulnerable positions. It is such an interesting read that is helping me learn more about real, tangible solutions to poverty and is such the heartbeat of what Noonday Collection is all about.
Restless by Jennie Allen. I first heard Jennie speak in Austin earlier this year at our Noonday conference and then later participated in the If:Gathering through livestream that she dreamed up. Jennie has such a passion to help women understand their purpose and to begin to dream bigger dreams for what God can and will use them to do in this world. Restless helps you to identify how both your deepest suffering and your strongest passions are woven together to make you uniquely positioned for certain callings. It helps you to see how your gifts, talents and hurts can all be used by God for bigger purposes.
I told you I've been doing lots of reading!
what I'm watching:
I loved watching Jen Hatmaker's show on HGTV. I'm sad that it's over now. If you didn't catch it My Big Family Renovation followed her family as they lived in and renovated on old farmhouse. You can probably catch some reruns on HGTV.
So for some reason I've been into Disney fairy tales these days. I really loved Frozen and Maleficent, and I could go on for days with the analogies in these movies and the emotional, spiritual and psychological truths in these movies.
what I'm studying:
Hosea from SheReadsTruth. This is probably my favorite book of the Bible, and it's been refreshing to revisit this book again through this study. It is such a reminder of God's relentless and passionate pursuit of His people despite their rebellion and running from Him.
what I'm making:
Trying to get back into making some pieces of jewelry. Since starting with Noonday Collection two years ago I haven't been able to devote as much time to making jewelry. I'm hoping to get back into that, and just this past weekend made a fun little beaded and tassel necklace that I'm pretty pleased with.
Stuffed animals for my little niece.
I'm deciding on fabric now so that I can get started soon on recovering a few chairs around the house.
Kimonos for myself from some super easy tutorials I found on Pinterest.
styles I'm loving:
still loving things accented with fringe, tassels and pompoms
southwestern designs
ankle boots
patterns and textures...the more the better
fur
mixing patterns....plaid & herringbone, stripes & florals
kimonos
hand embroidered details on bags and clothing
what I'm excited about:
My new camera!! Finally, I broke down and bought a big girl camera. I've always loved taking pictures and capturing fun images and angles but have always felt like the images could be so much better with a nicer camera. I finally bought one, and I'm loving it so far. I have lots to learn and I'm just starting to figure out a few things, but already I've had a great time capturing sweet memories of my niece and a family photo shoot for a friend of mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment