{extra + ordinary}
~ordinary women being used by an extraordinary God~
~doing ordinary things in an extraordinary way~
~living extra in the ordinary~
I'm excited to introduce you to the next {extra + ordinary} woman....Megan. I met Megan when she was starting physical therapy school, and I was serving with a campus ministry. She quickly became involved in the ministry---attending large group meetings on campus, showing up for weekly Bible studies at my house, hanging out with me one-on-one on an almost weekly basis, and participating in the summer mission trip after her first year of school. Throughout her time in school, Megan and I became great friends and two things about her life became so apparent:
1. She really had a heart for her classmates and was proactive in reaching out to them. She wanted to build relationships with them for the purpose of encouraging them and pointing them to Jesus.
2. She loved her patients and the opportunity she had to speak into their lives...to offer healing both physically and spiritually.
I had the opportunity to watch Megan grow and mature as a clinician and to watch God at work in her life. To see her gain confidence and skills as a physical therapist working with her patients. To watch her grow more bold in praying with patients and sharing the gospel with them. To see her truly care for the whole person, physically and spiritually. And, we've had a lot of fun along the way!!
Megan now spends her days doing what I used to do. She graduated a few years ago and is currently a full time physical therapist in the burn unit at a hospital here in town. She is also serving in a leadership role with Medical Campus Outreach reaching out to students in allied health. Did you catch that people?! She has a full time job AND a ministry "job". She is one busy lady. I love that Megan is choosing to use her "free time" to love and serve other women. She is choosing to be selfless with that time and to say "yes" to God and what He has called her to.
In her own words:
“In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food
to eat – for he grants sleep to those he loves.” Psalm 127:2
This became the verse that I clung
to while I was completing physical therapy school. The LORD chose to make it a
challenging time for me because I had to give up the control that I thought I
had, and trust that he would provide for my every need. I was challenged more
than I ever imagined, but it was a sweet time of brokenness that drew me closer
to the cross. As a student, I was involved in Medical Campus Outreach, which is
a ministry for students becoming future healthcare providers. It was through
this ministry that the LORD revealed to me how great of a calling he was
preparing me for. I learned that, as a Christian, being a physical therapist is
not just a career, but it is truly a lifestyle. After my first year of physical
therapy school, I was a part of a medical mission team to Trinidad. This is
where the LORD began to open my eyes to caring for not just the physical needs
of patients, but also the spiritual needs. I became more comfortable with
sharing the Gospel with people, and I was shown that God cares about people all
around the world. Over the years, I have come to realize that as a healthcare
provider, I have an inroad into countries that not everyone can penetrate.
Being able to care for someone’s physical needs creates a bond of trust and opens
people up to hearing about spiritual things.
After graduating from physical
therapy school, I felt the LORD calling me to move back to Augusta to disciple
and serve future allied health students by sharing with them my life and my
experiences while I was in school. Over the last few years, I have helped co-lead
a weekly bible study for current female allied health students, which is
primarily physical therapy and occupational therapy students, but we also have
students from smaller programs such as medical illustration and radiation
therapy. I have continued working full-time, but I invite students to come
spend time with me at work and see how the knowledge they are currently
learning is applied to real patients – the big picture that I greatly needed as
a student! The allied health ministry in Medical Campus Outreach also
participates in a medical mission trip every year, so I am able to serve
patients in other countries while training the students that I have
relationship with year-round in a cross-cultural setting. This combines two of my passions into one!
My years as a physical therapy
student were so formative for my current worldview, and I want to be able to
use those challenging times to share with current students that God doesn’t
call us to an easy life! It is in those hard times that we turn to God and have
to trust in him, and we are thankful for what He has done for us – not what we
have done for ourselves! This perspective changes everything –how I view my time,
finances, friendships, and career.
Attending worship services in other countries continues to
be one of my favorite parts of medical mission trips. The reminder that every
Sunday, God is worshipped and glorified in countless languages around the
world!
And if you missed the other stories in this series so far make sure and check out Mallory and Katherine's stories!!






No comments:
Post a Comment