Sometime back in November my parents asked me to send them a list of things I may want for Christmas--- a wish list if you will. My list included books about modern day slavery, refugee soccer teams, ministry to the poor, different types of oppression of women around the world and a movie about child sex trafficking. What?!? Aren't those things on everyone's Christmas list? Well, it's what I wanted....so, it's what I asked for.
My dad, half joking and half serious, brought it up while I was home for Christmas saying he was "a little concerned" over my wish list. Really my parents should just be used to it by now. I've always been a little different. I've always danced to the beat of my own drum--- that really hasn't changed any.
I had to laugh a little, because as we all sat in the living room at my parent's house unwrapping Christmas gifts this year (me unwrapping books and movies on how to solve the world's problems) I turned around to see my mom's china cabinet. On the bottom shelf right behind where I was sitting stood two little porcelain dolls. One my sister's and one mine. They were Christmas gifts to us many Christmases ago. When we were little girls my grandmother had a very good friend who made porcelain dolls. She custom-made each doll, and then she would handmake the clothing and accessories for each doll as well. One year for our Christmas gift she let us design our dolls. We got to pick out which doll we wanted, hair color, eye color, clothing, accessories... the whole nine yards. My sister chose a ballerina. Her beautiful little doll was complete with a pretty pink costume, tutu, ballet shoes, and a blonde bun. Pretty typical right? Doesn't every normal little girl want to be a ballerina? Well, either that or a princess. What did I design? A Native American little girl. A beautiful little girl with long black braids, an ornate suede dress with lots of fringe and intricate beading, and complete with a bearskin rug. I have no idea how I came up with that. Just like this year I guess. It's what I wanted....so, it's what I asked for.
So, like I said.... my parents should be used to it by now.
No comments:
Post a Comment