I am not very good at resting. Now, lazy....I am very good at that.
Rest and laziness are very different things. The two should not be confused.
The final week of the Modified 7 Project was Rest Week. I finished the project a few weeks ago, but I've waited so long for this post because I feel like I don't have much to say about rest week. I learned that I don't know a whole lot about true rest. Sitting around doing nothing is not true rest. Plopping down on the couch and watching TV is not true rest. Sleeping in is not true rest. True rest does involve physical rest, but it's so much more than that.
"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone:
my hope comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken"
Psalm 62:5
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almightly."
Psalm 91:1
True rest does not come from a vacation, a relationship, getting lost in the things you love, indulging in more.... True rest comes from knowing the Creator of the universe and being able to call Him Father. It comes from being in a right relationship with the One who knows you completely. The One who knows you more than anyone ever will and yet loves you more than anyone ever will.
It comes when when we stop striving for perfection. When we stop working to earn His favor. When we stop trying to control our lives. When we stop seeking love and affection and learn to give it away instead. When we stop fighting for what we feel we deserve.
True rest comes when I stop scrambling and kicking and fighting and learn to just sit and let Him hold me securely in His arms. When I learn that I already have His love, and that is enough!
"The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17
"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone:
my hope comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken"
Psalm 62:5
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almightly."
Psalm 91:1
True rest does not come from a vacation, a relationship, getting lost in the things you love, indulging in more.... True rest comes from knowing the Creator of the universe and being able to call Him Father. It comes from being in a right relationship with the One who knows you completely. The One who knows you more than anyone ever will and yet loves you more than anyone ever will.
It comes when when we stop striving for perfection. When we stop working to earn His favor. When we stop trying to control our lives. When we stop seeking love and affection and learn to give it away instead. When we stop fighting for what we feel we deserve.
True rest comes when I stop scrambling and kicking and fighting and learn to just sit and let Him hold me securely in His arms. When I learn that I already have His love, and that is enough!
"The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17
| 7: an experimental mutiny against
excess "Jesus, may there be less of me and my junk and more of You and Your Kingdom" ~Jen Hatmaker |
No comments:
Post a Comment