the challenge:
No TV, movies, Facebook, Pinterest, Polyvore, blogging,
or unnecessary texting for the week. What?!?
I saved this one until the end, because I was soooo dreading it. I thought I was going to be bored out of my mind.
When I realized I was going to miss the season finale of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo I was reeeaaallly bummed. That's when I knew how desperately I needed this week! Yes, I just admitted to you that I watch that show. But now you know just how badly I needed a break from media.
So...this week definitely had it's tough moments. So many times when I walked into the living room to plop down on the couch I just wanted to turn on my TV, lie there, and do absolutely nothing. I missed not reading blogs. It was really hard not checking Facebook and Pinterest. All of a sudden there were so many movies I wanted to watch. I confess, I did not persevere to the end. I wasted time on Facebook Saturday and watched TV, blogged, Facebook-ed, and Pinterest-ed on Sunday. Basically, I fell completely off on Sunday.
Now for the positives......
This week was one of the best weeks I've had in a really long time!!! It was so full, both literally and figuratively. I was so busy! Honestly, I had no time for all of that. Once I put away the media, I had much more time for real life. I got to spend time with my friend's newborn baby and her mother visiting from India. I got to spend time with another friend the day after she got engaged. I cooked dinner with friends. I went kayaking. I spent time with friends I haven't seen in a long time. I met and hung out with new friends. I helped with a talent show for children with special needs. I read books. I went running. This list goes on.... The point is-- I waste a lot of time with media.
This week was a good reality check. Of course, I will still use forms of media. I'm doing it now as I blog. I just need to change how I use them. I need a different perspective. I'm trying to evaluate my usage of media based on how and why I'm using it. I want to limit wasting time. I want to use it when it's purposeful and intentional.
| 7: an experimental mutiny against
excess "Jesus, may there be less of me and my junk and more of You and Your Kingdom" ~Jen Hatmaker |
No comments:
Post a Comment