fried egg, boiled egg, scrambled eggs, omelet, egg salad......
How many ways can you serve an egg? That is the question of my week. I am three days into Food Week of the modified 7 project I first mentioned a little over a month ago. This week I'm only eating 7 different types of food and drinking only water. The seven foods I chose were:
turkey
grapes
bread
spinach
egg
yogurt
cheese(of course)
My original list included almonds instead of bread. Halfway through the first day I realized that almonds just weren't going to cut it and that I needed something a little more substantial. While I was cooking dinner (a.k.a. figuring out how to prepare an egg this time) on day two I was already ready to just give up. This has been a lot tougher than I thought that it would be. I'm already tired of eating the same things over and over again. God is revealing to me what a brat I really am. I mean come on. It's only been two days. I need to grow up, right? I'm so used to having a riduculously large variety of food to choose from. Walking through the grocery story with aisles of endless options was a little strange when I was shopping for my seven little items. I never stopped to think of the convenience and even, I dare say, extravagance of having all of those items just minutes from my doorstep. I know that many people living all around the world do not have access to all of the food choices that I do, and the food they do have they have to work a lot harder for. I don't have to raise my own cows, pigs, and chickens, and I don't have to spend a whole day going to get clean drinking water for my family I can walk into one store and walk out minutes later with everything I need. I can have yummy fruits shipped in from their tropical locales, cheeses imported from around the world, and some wild salmon from Alaska. On top of all that, I can get my bread, dairy, meat, and produce all in one place. I don't have to go individually to visit the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker.
The thing that has been the easiest was the one I was dreading the most. No coffee for a week?!?! I drink coffee every day. Like three thermoses of coffee every day. It's woven into the very fabric of my day. Surprisingly, and thankfully, it has been the easiest part so far.
In these three days, I have already begun to sense God revealing things to me about my heart. I see how ungrateful I am for the blessings I do have in my life. I see how quickly I am ready to quit, and I want to be someone who perseveres in all things. I pray that He will continue to reveal Himself to me this week as some of my comforts are stripped away a bit to make room for His voice.
No comments:
Post a Comment