Wednesday, February 22, 2012

need

"I need some riding boots."  "I need a new dress to wear to that wedding next month."  "I need to finally get around to re-doing my bathrooms."  "I need that pair of earrings."  "I need to get a new rug for my living room."  "I need to make some new curtains for my bedroom."  "I need a new microwave."


Really? I need those things?  Need, need, need, need.

A couple of years ago my friend and I realized just HOW MUCH we were using the word "need", and 99% of the time it was to describe something that we certainly did not really need.  We made it a point to keep each other accountable and to correct each other when we heard that word popping out of our mouths so frequently.  I've definitely gotten better since then with my speech.  I use words like "want" or phrases like "I would like".  Though I've become more aware of it and have changed my speech a little, my heart still clings to things that it thinks it "needs"--in order to be happy, in order to be content, in order to be successful, in order to be beautiful.

In reality, I truly need a lot less than I think I need to live a joyful and complete life.  And, God provides all those things that I really do need.

I need more of Jesus in my life.
I need to rest in Him alone.
I need to trust Jesus at all times.
I need to moment by moment submit my will to His.

No comments:

Post a Comment