Tuesday, November 23, 2010
even in the nutcracker
The other night I went to see one of my very good friends dance in the Nutcracker. Going to see the Nutcracker has become a tradition for me signaling the beginning of the Christmas season. I love going to watch the familiar scenes unfold on stage before me. Each performance varies in set design, costume, and interpretation, but some things are always the same. There are always the cute little kids who are so excited about performing on stage and more concerned with finding their parents in the audience than with ballet. There are always the graceful dancers who mesmerize me with their talent and giftings as they dance to the familiar music. And of course, no performance of the Nutcracker is complete without "real" falling snow. As I sat and watched the other night one thing struck me that has never occured to me before. I was watching the scene where Clara happens upon her beloved nutcracker gift who has come to life and is fighting against the army of mice. In the scene the larger than life mouse king and nutcracker battle each other as Clara watches in fear. All of the smaller mice come to join forces with the mouse king as the toy soldiers fight behind the nutcracker. In the end, the nutcracker defeats the mouse king and then turns into a handsome prince who carries Clara away to another world where they watch bright and colorful candies and sweets from various lands come and dance before them. I was struck by the picture of the gospel represented in this scene. We, like Clara, are living in a world where Satan and God are in a battle with each other. If we are in Christ, our God is the victorious One, and we have the certain hope that one day He will return to defeat Satan once and for all and to carry His own to be with Him. He too will take us to a better world where people from all nations will come before Him bringing their dance and worship. I am convinced that the story of the gospel can be found all around us if we will but open our eyes and hearts to see it...even in the Nutcracker.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment