Wednesday, May 23, 2012

lessons from the life and wife of Lot

And then there was Lot.....not necessary someone many people want to be like.  And, I personally don't aspire to be like his wife.  Not my idea of a good time.  But seriously, the week that we studied Lot's wife God spoke to me so much through those passages of Scripture.  I feel like I could write tons, but I'll try really hard to keep it shortER and to the point.

1.  In the last part of Genesis chapter 18 Abraham pleads for God to spare the city of Sodom, his nephew Lot's city.  He begins by asking God to spare the whole city if 50 righteous people are found there.  God agrees.  Fifty are not found.  Abraham asks if He would spare the city for 45 righteous people.  God again says that He would indeed spare the entire city if 45 righteous people are found.  Again, 45 are not found.  Abraham continues asking--40, 30, 20, 10.  Each time God agrees that if that small number of righteous people are found, He will spare the entire city.  Each time there are not that many righteous people found.  Then, something happens.  Abraham stops asking.  Why didn't he just keep going?  I started to think... "what would have been the lowest number God would have said yes to"?  Would He have saved the city if 5 righteous people were found?  3?  2?  Only 1?  And then it hit me... of course He would!! That is exactly what He did with Jesus!  He saved the entire world when only one righteous man was found!  What an amazing picture of the gospel in this snapshot of history.

"As it is written:  'There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God.  All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.' "     Romans 3:10-12

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."     2 Corinthians 5:21


2.  I was struck by the description of the sin of the "daughters of Sodom".  I've always been familiar with the descriptions of the men of Sodom, which are unarguably grotesque.  I was not as familiar with how Scripture painted a picture of the women living in the city.  A much different picture, but still sinful.  Ezekiel 16:49-52 describes them as arrogant and self-sufficient, living with "abundant food" and in "careless ease" while being unconcerned for the needs of others, and enjoying their own prosperity while refusing to help the poor and the needy.  My first thought was "Wow, that pretty much sums America up in a nutshell."  That thought led to one a little closer to home.  "How is the American church any different than that description?"  And then, (gulp) "That is me in a nutshell!"  Ouch!  That one hurt.


3.  I don't want to fail the way that Lot and his wife did.  They had the potential to influence so many to follow God.  Studying the passages reveal that Lot was probably a very influential businessman and leader in the city with lots of social contacts.  His wife was probably well-known as well.  It seems that they influenced no one to follow God...not even their own family and close friends.  Lot, his wife, two daughters, and two sons-in-law are mentioned in Scripture.  That's already 6 people right there.  There may have been other children or close relatives.  And there were not even 10 righteous people found in Sodom?  Really?  What were they doing with all that influence?  It sounds more like the city was influencing them, instead of them impacting the city. 


4.  God was so rich in His mercy to spare Lot's family.  He sent angels to warn them.  You would think they would flee the city immediately.  The morning they left to flee the city they were reluctant to go.  The angels had to urge them again finally to the point of literally dragging them by the hands from the city!  Why did they not want to leave their "beloved" city knowing of the impending doom?  I do not know, but it's probably a little like me leaving my "beloved" sins that I know only bring destruction and death.  Thankfully, I have a God who rescues me, too, in spite of myself.  Who came to me when I wasn't looking for Him.  Who dragged me away when I didn't want to go.  Who pulled me away from my old city of sin and death and brought me into the Kingdom of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment