Cutting the grass has always been the thorn in my side. I absolutely cannot stand to do it! I would trade scrubbing lots of toilets for cutting one tiny yard. There's just something about it. It's not so much the actual cutting the grass that I hate. It's all the little things that seem to go along with it. Like when I plan to cut it in the short window of daylight I have when I get home only to realize that there's no gas in it. Or, when I get it out and can't start it. Or, I get it started easily and then something happens to make it stop, and I don't know what to do to fix it. Then there's the whole spectrum of emotional issues that surround it for me. Feeling like it's not fair that as a single homeowner I have to carry the weight of the "husband" chores and "wife" chores around the house. I start to become bitter toward women who have husbands to do this kind of work while they stay inside and do "inside" things. I feel sorry for poor, pitiful, little me who doesn't have a husband to cut her grass. Haha. It sounds so ridiculous, but these are the kinds of frustrations cutting the grass brings up for me. I begin to dread cutting the grass and put it off as long as I possibly can.
So, today what did I do? I got out and did it. I cut the grass. Partly because I'm tired of having the worst looking yard on the street. Partly because it was a beautiful day and it was a productive way to be out enjoying it and getting some exercise at the same time. Partly because I didn't want to wait any longer for my boyfriend to do it or for my co-worker's son to come over to do it. And, partly because my 95 year-old neighbor is probably peering through her blinds living in fear that my weeds will keep growing and spread to infect her perfect, green, carpet-like lawn. Whatever the reason, I did it, and I found that as I did God changed my perspective. I am thankful to have a home with a yard that needs mowing. I am thankful that I have enough money to buy a lawnmover. I am thankful that I have arms strong enough to push the mower and legs that are able to walk behind it. I work with patients everyday who would give anything to walk on their own and get out in the yard and do work. I am thankful that God has sent enough rain down on us to make the grass grow enough so that it needs to be cut.
Now, I would still gladly let my boyfriend cut the grass for me. I'll probably still have my friend's son come over a few times during the summer to make some extra money cutting my grass. I still really don't like it. It's hard work. And that's ok. Some things you just have to do even if you don't love it. But, I feel like God is changing my perspective and teaching me to give thanks in all circumstances.
I love this!!! I am just the opposite. I love cutting the grass. I beg Tim to let me do it sometimes. At least I used to in our old house. Our new house has a bigger yard with a beast of a hill. Anyway, I will never forget the very first time I cut my grass after I bought my first house. I was so proud of myself.... Until a rock flew up and hit me right above the eye. I kept cutting telling myself I had to toughen up.... Until I wiped my eye and saw blood. The princess came out then and I had to have a moment. Anyway..... All that to say kudos to you for cutting your grass! And it is A OK to let the boyfriend do it sometimes!
ReplyDelete